Hello! Welcome to the Brainstorm! Home of Jack-of-all-Trades! Out-there ideas! Moments of brilliance, laughter, and snarkitude!! And occasionally, deeply rooted soul searching.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The 20/10 Rule

"If you had $20 million or knew that you had only 10 years to live, would you still be doing what you are doing now?"

Provoking words from Daniel Pink, author of "A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule the Future." Provoking, and easy to put off a little longer; to think about later; to discuss another time.

It's another time.  And no, I wouldn't be doing what I am doing now.

I would, however, continue my pursuit of education and literacy.  Of beauty, art, music, and kindness.  I would have more to say, in an informed manner, and I would speak the language of enlightenment fluently.

I would make a list of all the things I want to do, and all the places I want to see, and make it so.  I would put a toe in the South Pacific, and paint watercolors from a villa in the Mediterranean. I would shiver on the deck of an Alaskan cruise, and write poetry from the craggy cliffs of the Rockies (again).  I would write, and teach, and help others become the persons they want to be.  I would use empathy and symphony (not sympathy) to heal hurts through organizations dedicated to the holistic wholeness of others.  I would cross boundaries, create metaphors, and examine the "relationship between relationships."  I would look for solutions instead of bemoaning problems. I would make play a priority (wouldn't Sam be happy!), laugh more, and revel in joy.  In other words, I would truly seek happiness, and do it wholeheartedly.

So here is the $20 Million question: What's stopping me?  Maybe it's what's stopping you, too.  Maybe it's the pressure from the tribe to "conform," or fear of starting something new.  Maybe it's inertia, because a force at rest does tend to stay there.  So, I am taking the first step.  Hold me accountable and ask how I am doing.  Share your story.  After all, $20 Million and ten years... that's not really what it takes to be happy.




1 comment:

  1. The thing holding me back is the lack of $20 million, simply put.

    ReplyDelete