Hello! Welcome to the Brainstorm! Home of Jack-of-all-Trades! Out-there ideas! Moments of brilliance, laughter, and snarkitude!! And occasionally, deeply rooted soul searching.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Twas the night before...the first day of school

Once upon a time, I didn't wake up at 2 am worrying about the first day of school.  But that's when I was the one in school, not my child. 

When I was in college, I was given a nickname, based on a theme of Disney characters.  My understanding is that there was a fight between those who wanted Princess Jasmine and Big Mama, but the emotional characteristics of Big Mama won, even if the physical characteristics were in Jasmine-land.  Big Mama, for those of you non-Disney folk, is the owl who finds Tod a home after he is orphaned in The Fox and the Hound
The Fox and the Hound (25th Anniversary Edition)Big Mama took care of everybody, and sheltered those she loved under her wing.  Big Mama also had a strong sense of the way of things.  She tried to take care of the emotional needs as well as the physical needs with sayings such as, "Darlin', forever is a long, long  time, and time has a way of changing things."

I charge head-first into the fray when I am protecting my young.  I am learning to think first, but I still find myself with my wings wrapped around the munchkin, shielding him from the very things my mind knows he has to deal with on his own to be strong.  I hurt for the process he goes through, and I want to hug him and hold him and make it better.  Unfortunately, he isn't a toddler anymore, and hugs and kisses seem to do less and less as he takes his steps toward independence.  The munchkin has had a rough time at school the past couple years.  I so want this year to be better for him.


I took this picture this afternoon, and hope if he can rest so sweetly with the puppy, he has the inner strength to do more than even I can imagine.  Sweet dreams, love.

No comments:

Post a Comment